Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Sleep is a helluva thing...


It seems like such a simple thing, sleep. Everyone does it, the body (in most cases at least) comes by it naturally. Most people don’t think too hard about sleep except when they start to feel tired and are winding down at the end of a long day. Sleep is probably the number one most important thing, along with eating well and moving once in a while, you can do to improve your well-being. And yet – many of us don’t seem to get nearly enough of it.

I’m one to talk – in the last two days I’ve gotten a total of maybe 9 hours of crummy sleep, and it shows in my mood and lackluster enthusiasm for getting up and doing the things. Having a healthy sleep schedule is definitely something I need to work on, but often insomnia wins out and the sheep just keep jumping the fence. Part of that is my own fault: I spend way too much time staying up late doing things like shooting gangsters in RDR2 and arguing petty things on the internets. Biology plays a bit of a role in that too, but I’m not helping myself by my inconsistencies. It’s a goal of mine to re-train myself to shut down at a decent hour every night.

I’ve noticed also that when I finally do get a decent amount of sleep, after a longish period of deprivation, my dreams get WHACKED! Sometimes they’re full of fun and hilarity, but more often than not they could give Wes Craven and John Carpenter a run for their money in the horror flick department. The last one involved running around a decrepit warehouse fighting giant rat-sized alien slugs that spit acid in your eyes for reproduction purposes – acid which slowly liquified your body and kept you alive until the very last bit of you reduced to a puddle of human flesh-jelly. Brains are wacky, man…

But I digress. The world would probably be a much happier, healthier, more productive place if we all would just get enough good sleep. Speaking of, it’s almost time for my lunchtime siesta! Off to snoozeville.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is my obsession?

Hot damn my brainmeats just don't want to work these days... I feel like I've lost all creativity and thought and damn nothing seems...